What is the TIP?
The Cape Cod Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) is a list of transportation system projects to be implemented with federal and state funds available for Cape Cod. The TIP is developed and approved by the Cape Cod Metropolitan Planning Organization, the regional body comprised of local, regional, state, and federal officials charged with overseeing the region's transportation planning process. Discussions at MPO meetings help to establish a preference for which projects are funded through the TIP.
TIP Funding - Funding comes from a combination of state and federal sources, and totals more than $150 million over the five-year plan.
TIP Projects - Typical projects include reconstruction of existing intersections or roadways, construction of new multi-use paths, and purchase new buses to support regional bus service. Projects are designed to address safety and congestion concerns for all transportation modes, including vehicle, transit, bicycle, and pedestrian travel. Recent projects include the reconstruction of the intersection of Route 28 and Bearses Way in Barnstable, the Cape Cod Trail Trail bridge over Bass River, and purchase of new buses by the Cape Cod Regional Transit Authority.
Development of the FFY 2022-2026 Transportation Improvement Program
On May 24, 2021 the Cape Cod Metropolitan Planning Organization voted to adopt the Federal Fiscal Year (FFY) 2022-2026 Transportation Improvement Program (TIP). The plan along with plan summaries in English and Portuguese as presented below.
Current Transportation Improvement Program (FFY 2021-2025)
On May 26, 2020 the Cape Cod Metropolitan Planning Organization voted to adopt the Federal Fiscal Year (FFY) 2021-2025 Transportation Improvement Program (TIP). The plan along with plan summaries in English and Portuguese as presented below.
- FFY 2021-2025 Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) | Amendment 1 | Amendment 2
- Executive Summary | Sumário Executivo
- Programa de Melhoria de Transporte (TIP) - vídeo
Design Public Hearings
A Design Public Hearing is an important milestone in the development of a TIP project. Hosted by the Massachusetts Department of Transportation, hearings are and opportunity to learn about a project, ask questions, and submit comments. Comments can be made at the hearings or submitted within ten (10) business days of the hearing as described on the hearing noticed posted here: https://www.mass.gov/massdot-highway-design-public-hearings
Upcoming Design Public Hearings
- To be added as meetings are scheduled
Recording of Past Design Public Hearings
- Bourne - Bourne Rail Trail (Phase 1) | September 29, 2021
- Wellfleet - Route 6 & Main Street Intersection Improvements & Route 6 Pavement Preservation | September 22, 2021
- Harwich - Azelea Drive Bridge | February 11-25, 2021
- Sandwich - Service Road Shared Use Path | January 21 - February 4, 2021
- Barnstable - Bearses Way Shared Use Path | October 26 - November 9, 2020
- Barnstable/Yarmouth - Cape Cod Rail Trail Phase III | October 9 - 23, 2020
Previous Transportation Improvement Programs
Below are previous Cape Cod Transportation Improvement Programs (TIP) with any amendment and/or administrative adjustments approved by the Cape Cod Metropolitan Planning Organization.
- FFY2020-2024 TIP | Amendment 1 | Amendment 2 | Amendment 3 | Amendment 4
- FFY2020 Obligation Report (Highway) | FFY2020 Obligation Report (Transit)
- FFY2019-2023 TIP | Amendment 1 | Amendment 2 | Amendment 3 | Administrative Adjustment (07/31/2019) | Amendment 4
- FFY 2019 Obligation Report
- FFY 2017-2021 TIP
- FFY 2016-2019 TIP
- FFY 2016-2019 TIP
- FFY 2015-2018 TIP
- FFY 2014-2017 TIP