» Download the latest…
Unified Planning Work Program for Transportation Planning Activities (October 1, 2016 – September 30, 2017)
Endorsed by Cape Cod Metropolitan Planning Organization (CCMPO) on August 1, 2016
The Cape Cod Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP) is developed annually by the Cape Cod Commission transportation staff on behalf of the Cape Cod Metropolitan Planning Organization, in accordance with the requirements in SAFETEA-LU and federal planning regulations. The UPWP describes all significant transportation planning activities planned on Cape Cod over the twelve (12) month period, regardless of lead organization and funding source. The following are the major transportation planning areas:
- Management and Support of the Planning Process and Certification Activities - the efforts required for coordinating transportation planning activities between CCC and Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) member communities, local, regional, state and federal agencies; efforts required to maintain the public participation process; Environmental Justice strategies; efforts required for the administration of the CCC contract with the Massachusetts Highway Department (MHD) and the Executive Office of Transportation & Public Works (EOTPW); development and approval of the UPWP and the Transportation Improvement Program (TIP); and enhancement of the technical capacity of the planning process.
- Data Collection & Analysis Activities - to continually gather and update traffic, crash and road data necessary for transportation planning and analysis; to maintain databases, to develop and update Cape Cod's travel demand forecasting model; review safety data, goals, objectives and strategies to promote safety.
- Short- and Long-Range Transportation Planning - efforts to update and maintain the Regional Transportation Plan for Cape Cod, a certification activity that requires a new plan every four years and development of the Congestion Management Program for the region. Also efforts to perform special planning studies of corridor safety/traffic flow and transit and integration of special studies into the regional transportation plan. Emphasis areas include identification of strategies to support the economic vitality of the metropolitan area, transportation security, emergency planning, strategies to promote smart growth and economic development patterns, environmental protection and energy conservation and preservation of the existing transportation system.
- Other Technical Activities - to provide other technical assistance to the region, including assistance in the design and implementation of projects, participating in special studies, coordination with transit agencies and assistance in the planning, design and development of the Intelligent Transportation System for Cape Cod. Special emphasis areas include enhancing the integration and connectivity of the transportation system, across and between modes, for people and freight and promotion of Operation & Management Strategies.
- Regulatory Review and Planning Assistance to the Towns - Review of Developments of Regional Impact and assistance in the development and implementation of Local Comprehensive Plans and Districts of Critical Planning Concern.
- Other Planning Efforts - Efforts that have received preliminary approval that may be initiated during the UPWP period and/or planning studies in the region that are funded through other sources, including the Route 6A/Scenic Byways Program, several efforts proposed by the National Park Service and efforts planned by the Cape Cod Regional Transit Authority.